Friday 17 April 2015

When is the Expiry Date if it is Not Stated on the Label?

Salam and hello girls and boys we meet again. Well, meeting virtually I guess hehe


    So today I will talk about the most common question I usually ask myself everytime when I am about to use something old. For example, my last years concealer or maybe my acne topical (liquid you apply onto your skin) medication like Clindamycin gel 1%. "Can I still use this after a year or two or three?". And then when i check through the label, there were NO EXPIRY DATE stated. Then, it got me thinking whether it is safe to use or not. Well, let me tell you some tips or tricks on how to determine that ;)


1. CHECK OUT WHETHER YOUR PRODUCT CONTAIN LIKE THIS CUTE LITTLE TUBE SYMBOL




The one that I point with my finger. Well, before I know about this, I thought it was like a symbol they put to make it cute and such but then again, how wrong can I be?. Well, that cute little symbol mostly appear on cosmetic products. From body wash to facial wash to lotion to foundation to lipstick. So, let me tell you on how to read the label. In every of that cute symbol has written 'numbers' and with 'M'. The 'number' represent well numbers and the 'M' represent month. If on the label they say '24M' they mean that that product will last for '24 months' after opening which also means 2 years. If ever you decide to not open the product, then the product will last until the day you open it.



2. CHECK OUT THE PRODUCTION DATE


If let say if the cute little symbol is not on the product, search for the production date;

And count three years from that date and VOILA! Your expiry date! Mostly, pharmaceutical things have written their expiry date. Just to make sure that it is safe for the consumer to use the product as time given. To me, the timeline of 3 years are actually long enough.



3. STOP PREDICTING YOUR OWN EXPIRY DATE


What I did last time was I check the state of the product, the smell, the colour and also whether the packaging is still fine or not. This might work with some product but I REALLY AM ADVISING YOU TO STOP PREDICTING. Because maybe the product might look fine on the outside but not on the inside. When I say on the inside, I mean chemically. As a student in pharmacy, we learn about this chemical stuff and it is hard for me to explain to you of what chemical changes can do to one human. If you still want to know, please just comment below so I can answer your question the best as I can.


    Everything in this world has its' own timeline. I know some of you guys might not care about the expiry date some of the product that you own but let say if the product is on its' expiry date, the product might not give the 'wanted effect' but will give you the 'unwanted effect'. The product might turn into toxic and this might effect you not now but maybe the future.


I am really advising you guys to be careful of what you do to your body. If let say you've reached the toxicity effect on your body, there are only two ways. If there is a medication for it, then I guess we should thank god for that. But let say, if there is nothing we could do about it, then "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube".


THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING. SHARE THIS KNOWLEDGE WITH EACH OTHER.




Stay healthy and stay golden. 
With love, 
zera  xx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. I actually learnt something! :)


    My blog link is www.iblogwithgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete